Home Stadium Installation Instructions
Please read these before you get started. We know you’re excited to dive in and hang your Home Stadium but trust us, it will help save you a ton of time and effort in the long run.
*If at any time you feel that you are not capable of hanging your Home Stadium yourself, please visit wallcoveringinstallers.org or similar service (Angie’s List – "Wallpaper Install") to find a professional wallcovering installer near you.
- WARNING - DO NOT install your Home Stadium on fresh paint!
- If you have recently painted your wall(s) in preparation for your Home Stadium it is advised to wait at least 30 days to allow the paint to settle and to allow for “out gassing” (basically letting the paint properly cure) to prevent bubbling. In general, bubbles are fun, but bubbles under your newly installed Home Stadium are not.
- WARNING - DO NOT install your Home Stadium above and/or immediately next to a fireplace.
- Your Home Stadium is hot, but not that hot. Doing so will unnecessarily increase the risk of fire. We don’t want that, and neither do you.
- WARNING - DO NOT install your home stadium on a rough, textured, or damaged surface.
- The adhesive needs a nice and smooth surface for maximum adhesion. Textured walls could prevent your Home Stadium from fully adhering to your walls. This includes installing your Home Stadium over flat or eggshell finish paint, primer, or drywall. The finish on these paints will not allow your Home Stadium to properly adhere to the wall(s). Satin or Semi-Gloss paints are preferred.
- TIP - The material that your Home Stadium is printed on is forgiving.
- You’re going to make mistakes with this installation. Either the material is going to stick together at some point in the installation process or you will misalign a panel and have to re-do it. Don’t fret! If the material sticks to itself, gently pull the material apart so it is back to its original state. If you realize that you have misaligned a part of the Home Stadium, gently peel it off of the wall and make the necessary corrections and re-adhere to the wall. If either of these scenarios happen, it is imperative that you protect the adhesive as best as you can. DO NOT let the adhesive lay on the floor or any other area where dust or other particles can adhere to the back of your panel. This will weaken the adhesive and will ruin your Home Stadium.
The steps below should be done as soon as possible after purchase of your Home Stadium as possible to ensure your wall is ready for installation.
Things you’ll need:
- Damp cloth/sponge
- Joint knife or paint scraper (if needed)
- Paint & paintbrush (if needed)
Installation of your Home Stadium
Things you’ll need:
- Measuring Tape
- Step ladder
- Sharp razor blade
- Screw driver (to remove wall outlets and switch plates, if applicable)
- A friend or two
- Joint knife or paint scraper
Installation Step 1) Admire your Home Stadium!
Unroll your Home Stadium look over each panel to make sure there are no tears or scratches on the material. We would never ship anything to you that had a defect in it, but please look over each panel and make sure we didn’t miss anything. If you do find a defect, please take a picture of the area in question along with your enclosed receipt, and e-mail it to Info@HomeStadiums.com immediately. We’ll get in touch with you and work with you to resolve the issue as soon as possible!
Please understand that each of our Home Stadium images contain dozens to hundreds of smaller, zoomed in, images that are all stitched together to create the massive gigapixel image that you ordered. Unfortunately, from time-to-time, we don’t catch every misalignment between images and there may be stitching errors in the final image that you ordered. These minor errors are not considered defects and do not warrant a return.
Installation Step 2) Hanging the First Panel!
Hanging the first panel is the most important step in the installation of your Home Stadium; a small error/misalignment in the positioning on the first panel will result in a large error on the last panel and you’ll have to start over. No Bueno.
When your wall is dry from wiping it down with the damp cloth you can begin the installation of your first panel. The installation begins on either the far left or far right panel of your Home Stadium. For the sake of making these instructions as easy as possible we will use the example of starting from the left side of the Home Stadium and working our way to the right. If you’re a rebel and want to start from the right and move left, just replace the words “left” and “right” with their opposite in these instructions and you’ll get the same result.
- Your Home Stadium was printed 1” longer and 1” taller than what you ordered. This allows for each edge of your Home Stadium to have an extra 1” overhang on all sides of the Home Stadium. Because not every wall and/or ceiling is 100% level, the extra 1” overhang will allow for a slight imperfection in the ceiling and/or walls so you will not have any gaps in the corners. The overhang will be trimmed once you’re finished hanging all panels and will give you a perfect fit in each corner of the wall(s) and ceiling.
Installation Step 2.1) Square It Up
Tools: Measuring tape, level, pencil, step ladder
On the back of your far-left and far-right panels is a measurement that is unique to your Home Stadium. This measurement is where the right edge of your first panel will line up on the wall. The measurement is simply 1” less than the total width of your panel to ensure you don’t forget to leave the 1” overhang.
Using the measuring tape and pencil, measure the applicable distance from the far left corner of your wall and mark that distance with the pencil. Using the level, draw a straight vertical line with the pencil from the mark you just made. This line is where the right edge of your first panel will line up. Draw as much or as little of a vertical line as you see fit.
Installation Step 2.2) Install the First Panel
Tools: A friend or two, step ladder (if needed).
Remove the middle section of the backing on your first panel to expose the adhesive.
Have a friend stand on the step ladder to hold the first panel up to the corner of the ceiling/molding while you align the right edge to the straight pencil line you just drew on the wall. Make sure the friend holding the panel leaves approximately 1” beyond the ceiling/molding to account for the overhang. Once the right edge is lined up and there is proper overhang on the top, gently press on the Home Stadium to adhere the middle section to the wall using your hands. Be sure to press the panel onto the wall using a side-to-side motion and smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles if they appear. Peel off the Home Stadium from the wall and make any adjustments to the alignment if needed.
- When you’re comfortable with the alignment of the first panel, have the friend on the step ladder bring the top portion of the panel down while making sure that the middle section stays adhered to the wall (to keep it aligned with the vertical line). Slowly peel the backing from the top half of the panel in small increments and using your hands, adhere the panel to the wall moving up towards the ceiling. Continue to peel the backing and adhere the first panel to your wall until the entire panel is up. Use your hands to smooth out any bubbles that appear and make sure that there are no wrinkles in the material. The goal is to have all of the adhesive smoothly touching every inch of the wall. Repeat for the bottom half of the panel.
- DO NOT TRIM THE OVERHANG. We’ll get to that at the end.
Optional: Enjoy a cold beverage and celebrate your victory of hanging the first panel of your awesome new Home Stadium. Make sure you document your progress on Facebook and Instagram by tagging us at @HomeStadiums and using the hashtags #MyHomeStadium and #YourHomeYourStadium. We would be forever grateful!
Installation Step 3) Hang the Rest of the Panels!
Tools: A friend or two, step ladder.
Note: Each panel has a 1” overlap. Do not butt the edges of the panels together!
Peel back approximately 6” from the far-left edge of panel #2. Have a friend stand on the step ladder to help hold and align the left edge of panel #2 to the right edge of panel #1. Line up the images in the 1” overlap and adhere panel #2 to panel #1. As done before in Step 2, gently peel the backing from panel #2 in small increments that you’re comfortable with and adhere the Home Stadium to the wall. Make sure you’re constantly smoothing out any air bubbles and wrinkles along the way.
- Repeat this step for the rest of your panels and you’ll be done in no time! Please do not rush though. The more you try to rush through this, the longer it will take.
Installation Step 4) Trim the Overhang
Tools: Razor blade, step ladder, joint knife/paint scraper.
When all of the panels are on the wall and you’re happy with how it looks, you can trim the 1” overhang.
Stick the joint knife/paint scraper into the corner where you will be starting your trimming. Use the joint knife/paint scraper as a guide, ensuring the edge of the Home Stadium is as adhered into the corner as possible. Carefully and gently use the razor blade along the joint knife/paint scraper to trim off the excess from the corners. Make sure you apply enough pressure directly into the corner to give a smooth and straight cut. If you’re having difficulty cutting the material, your razor blade may be dull. A new razor blade will cut through the material with ease.
Note: The longer the joint knife/paint scraper the better.
Undoubtedly you are going to run into areas that are difficult to cover; outlets, light switches, trim/molding, etc. Simply use the razor blade to cut around these items to make sure the Home Stadium is adhered completely to the wall.
Electrical outlets & light switch plates: Please contact a certified electrician prior to cutting around electrical outlets and/or light switch plates to reduce the risk of shock.
Adhere the Home Stadium to the edge of the outlet or plate. Using your razor blade, carefully cut the Home Stadium the length of the outlet or plate. Be sure to not cut beyond the length of the outlet/plate. DO NOT STICK THE RAZOR BLADE INTO THE OUTLET OR SWITCH PLATE.
Contoured trim around a window: Adhere the Home Stadium to the farthest edge of the trim and use your razor blade to trim the Home Stadium as you continue to adhere the panel to the edge of the trim. Cut the Home Stadium panel as needed to give yourself better access to tight corners. Make sure the Home Stadium is flush to the trim in each corner prior to cutting.
Doors: It is advised to contact a professional wallpaper installer to install your Home Stadium over doors.
*Please be advised that there is no business or legal relationship between Home Stadiums LLC and any wallcovering hanger professionals found at wallcoveringinstallers.org or on AngiesList.com. The information provided to find a professional in your area does not imply an endorsement or guarantee of their services. Hiring a third-party installer will incur an additional cost that is the responsibility of the customer.